Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Snow White 80th Anniversary Window Displays - Saks Fifth Avenue

To celebrate the 80th anniversary of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Saks Fifth Avenue in New York dedicated their Christmas window displays to this special occasion. The animated scenes include a new 3D layering technology that uses original artwork from the film within each diorama. Fourteen windows in all.

Inside the Magic did a fantastic job of capturing the displays on video and in stills.







Video and stills copyright insidethemagic.net.

The window displays launched with a live-streamed event on November 20, 2017. It included a light show, costumed cast members, and a singing performance by Sofia Carson. The light show and window displays will be available for viewing until Jan. 2, 2018.

Breakfast at Saks is also available and includes a visit from Snow White, the Prince, and Dopey. $100/person.



In an earlier Archive entry, see the 2017 Saks Fifth Avenue Snow White doll.

8 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!
    Snow White and the Dwarfs were there at the launch.

    The Myer department store in Melbourne Australia also have Christmas window displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Andrew. They did a fabulous job on the windows. Very cool to hear Myer has displays too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! These pictures just brought back many happy memories: I first saw "Snow White" during its 1975 Christmas theatrical re-release, and visited Disneyland shortly after; the Main Street Emporium windows featured the film, and are echoed in this Saks display. The Emporium Snow White story was still in place by summer '76; I recall reading that the film had been the company's most successful reissue ever at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great memory Stefano! Thanks for sharing. The 1975 re-release was a very successful campaign.

      The Saks windows are really done well. I would not be surprised if they had some assistance or pointers from the Disney Imagineering department that does the Main Street Emporium windows.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! Too bad these couldn't be moved to Disneyland's Emporium windows after Saks is finished with them in January. I also saw "Snow White" for the first time during it's 1975 re-release and remember seeing the displays in the Emporium windows at Disneyland shortly after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect idea TM. They are of that high of quality, the dioramas would fit right in at the Emporium. Maybe someone high up at Diz has already been thinking this, hopefully???

      Delete
  4. Ooops, I forgot that I was taken to see "Snow White" during it's 1967 re-release, but I don't remember anything about that viewing. Depending on when it was released that year, I would have been somewhere between 2 and 3 years old. I've been told that when the Wicked Witch first appeared on the screen, I started to cry and my dad had to remove me from the theater. My mom and my older brother remained however, and finished watching the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the Witch was known to have caused similar reactions in many a little audience member back then. Jungle Book was my first film. I remember aspects of it, mainly the more frightening scenes. But I was a little older, maybe about four.

      Delete